It is easy to be caught out. Don't challenge yourself too early, and know your limits.
More than 250,000 people go surfing in British and Irish waters every year. Surfing hotspots can get particularly busy when the conditions are good. You need to be aware of other surfers as well as hidden currents that can catch you off guard.
Here are some top tips to enjoy Surfing safely:
- Always surf between the black and white flags.
- Always surf with a mate, especially in big swell. Surfers look out for one another.
- It is easy to be caught out. Don’t challenge yourself too early, and know your limits.
- Check the local forecast for wind, tide and swell.
- Follow the safety advice from the governing body for surfing, Surfing GB, and other expert organisations.
Find out more on RNLI.org