Respect the Water is the RNLI’s national drowning prevention campaign. We highlight the risks you might encounter in or around the water, and give you advice to make sure you’re prepared if you get into trouble in the water.
5 steps to float
1. If you fall into water, fight your instinct to swim until the cold water shock passes
2. Lean back, extend your arms and legs
3. If you need to, gently move them around to help you float
4. Float until you can control your breathing
5. Only then, call for help or swim to safety